Monday, December 2, 2013




Hi Dad,

That sounds so cool that you were able to go biking and have fun with Mason, and seriously? A new tallboy? You my friend need help with your addiction and with handling money haha. 

On the same sober note, i am so sorry to hear that is going to happen with uncle graham and aunt Becky. I will email her, but also tell her that she is in my prayers always, im so sad to hear that, it breaks my heart, being on a mission has taught me the value of family and how important it is to be close and to treasure your family. I truly understand now why you and mom had such high expectations for us boys, i have been in a few households where the kids will be doing something, and i will just about loose my mind because im like, they shouldn't being doing that, or that, or that, especially that! Some are running everywhere and just making noise, or they are extremely disrespectful to me and Elder Barnes, i now see the method behind your madness. This week has been a learning experience, we have had so many people either drop our appointments or just forget about us. I haven't been doing exactly what i should have been doing either, i was sleeping in longer than i should have not by much but still, when we would walk to appointments my mind would wander to other things rather than focusing on the spirit, we were still being obedient but not to the fullest. So this week we have re dedicated ourselves to doing what the lord has asked us and starting to talk about doctrine on the way to appointments and keeping the spirit, and already i have seen a difference. Its amazing what changing a few small things can do for everything you are doing. Anyways Mason didn't email me this week, is he doing ok? the best thing you can do is just listen, not only to him but also to what the holy ghost is telling you to do to handle the situation, i gave him some advice, but you hold the priesthood keys to our family and you can receive Revelation for each one of us to help us in our times of distress, rely upon the lord and his knowledge and be guided by the spirit as to what you should do. I love and respect you dad you are the one who keeps me going in the hard times. You and mom, i just want to make you proud

Love, Elder Bethea


On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Bethea, Derek <dbethea@sanjuancounty.org> wrote:
Elder Bethea: Happy Thanksgiving.  I thought of you these last couple days, especially as we played in AZ.  We had such a good time.  Mason will be telling you about all the fun things to do in AZ; he wasn't aware of them because of how you and him hid out in the cave of wonders at Josh's every holiday.  I took him mountain biking....and ya he had fun with a couple of nice wrecks.  One in particular, was when he slid into a barbwire fence.  Ya, he hit it square.  I didn't see it, but Uncle Sean did.  I had already ridden early in the morning with Uncle John, Jason and there young friend (oh can they ride) and then came back and got Uncle Sean and Mason and headed out to haws trails.  We were riding into the haws trails along the fence and Mason missed the S turn and ran right into the fence, tearing my good shorts (the little punk) and twisting the handle bars.  The best part of the wreck was that he now has the Derek Bethea Boys tattoo.....on his left arm he has three lines just above his elbow.  And it is from mountain biking.  How about that.  Oh, did I mention he was riding my old Tallboy....I just bought Uncle John's old one.  Relax.....you know I deserve it..lol.  Your mom is so good to me.  Well, besides riding almost everyday with me, we went out to lunch with Pia twice and your mom once (oh ya Cafe MIx) and saw three movies.  I know it is rude, to harass you, but I just want to realize how much fun we are going to have when you finish the mission.  I can wait, just know you are in my thoughts.  

On a more sobering note, I need to let you know that your Uncle Graham and Aunt Becky are getting a divorce.  Uncle Graham has been abusing soma medication for the past six years and is unwilling to enter rehab to address his addiction.  She has worked long and hard at trying to have him step up and assume his responsibilities; however, he has failed to grab onto the rod of iron, trust his Heavenly Father and fight for his family.  I still love him to death, but recognize that we all have the right to choose liberty or death....and right now he has chosen death.  I keep him in my prayers and am leaving it up to the Lord to help him.  I hope he enters rehab and gets sober.  Keep him in his prayers.  On a brighter note, you would be proud to see how your uncles and aunts and cousins have stepped up to support Aunt Becky and her children.  You don't need to worry, she is in good hands, especially with Heavenly Father looking over her.  Uncle Graham did give you and Mason a huge compliment when I talked with him tonight...which was how grateful he was with how gentle and loving you treated his youngest boys in Florida.  He expressed his gratitude with how kind and loving you were with Brixten and Jackson on the Beach, in the pool and at dinners.  You have such a loving heart and a gentle touch Elder Bethea, remember to stay close to Heavenly Father to allow him to touch others lives.  

So, enough about home....We got Elder Barnes letter.  What a great missionary.  Let him know he is welcome at are home anytime.  Follow his counsel.  How is the work going in Moses Lake?  Are you teaching much or just doing a lot of contacting.  As we sat in church this morning in AZ, I saw the young Elders sitting in church and I immediately thought of you and how grateful I am for your willingness to serve.  Please keep me informed of you successes and struggles.  I love to hear your about your experiences.  

Oh, by the way, Aunt April and Uncle Jason are so grateful for you writing a letter back to your cousins.  They could not stop talking about how neat it was for you to write them each a letter.  I know I sound like a broken record, but thanks for being such a good example and great older cousin.  It is nice for others to see what a great Young Man you are.  Sorry to be so long winded, but know I love you and pray for you nightly.  Keep the mission rules and obey your mission president exactly.  

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment